Digital Photography in Havana, Cuba
March 3 - 10
1 undergraduate studio credit
Course number: IPD-3207-B
FACULTY: JAIME PERMUTH & ALEX GARCIA
PROGRAM IS NOW CLOSED. NO MORE APPLICATION BEING ACCEPTED.
Throughout the 20th Century, Cuba held sway over the world’s imagination first as the Paris of the Caribbean and then as a struggling – yet proud – revolutionary island. Now is the time to visit Cuba to experience the vibrant visual culture; revel in timeless architecture and landscapes; and meet its people as they transition into a new era.
Led by faculty of SVA’s Masters in Digital Photography, who have a combined experience of over ten months working on location in the island, this workshop will explore Havana and outlying neighborhoods.
Photographic opportunities abound as we discover
- Sunrise/Sunset shoots on El Malecon, Morro Castle and Old Havana.
- Cultural Institutions La Fototeca de Cuba and Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
- Colon Cemetery, which has been called one of the greatest historical cemeteries of the world.
- Boxing Training Club Gimnasio Trejo, which trains future Olympians.
- UNESCO World Heritage sites in Old Havana such as the historic Cathedral of Havana.
- Day trip to Viñales which includes a tour of the country side a visit to a tobacco-growing estate and cigar sampling.
- Enjoy authentic Cuban music, food, and drink at Paladar San Cristobal, Torre del Cocinero and La Bodeguita del Medio.
Group Travel Itinerary (tentative)
- Depart NYC JFK on Friday, March 3rd
- Return to NYC JFK on Friday, March 10th
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths in a Casa Particular family owned and operated pensions located within walking distance of Central Havana.
- Airfare from JFK to Havana, transportation to/from pension.
- Daily breakfast, some additional meals and local transportation.
- Evening review and image processing sessions with faculty.
Tuition does not include transportation to New York JFK airport.
- We will be walking 6-10 miles a day.
- Cuba is practical and casual; please wear low-care clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
- Travel light with one camera, at the most two lenses and a small laptop.
- Be prepared to be off of the Internet for long periods of time.
LIMITED ENROLLMENT: REGISTER now and all spots will be awarded by payment completion
Activity level: moderate ( 11 – 12 on the RPE Scale )
For further information contact Katrin Eismann, via email: [email protected]