Digital Photography in
March 3 - 10
1 undergraduate studio credit
Course number: IPD-3207-B
FACULTY: JAIME PERMUTH & ALEX GARCIA
Throughout the 20th Century, Cuba held sway over the world’s imagination first as the Paris of the Caribbean and then as a struggling – yet proud – revolutionary island. Now is the time to visit Cuba to experience the vibrant visual culture; revel in timeless architecture and landscapes; and meet its people as they transition into a new era.
Led by faculty of SVA’s Masters in Digital Photography, who have a combined experience of over ten months working on location in the island, this workshop will explore Havana and outlying neighborhoods.
Photographic opportunities abound as we discover
- Sunrise/Sunset shoots on El Malecon, Morro Castle and Old Havana.
- Cultural Institutions La Fototeca de Cuba and Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
- Colon Cemetery, which has been called one of the greatest historical cemeteries of the world.
- Boxing Training Club Gimnasio Trejo, which trains future Olympians.
- UNESCO World Heritage sites in Old Havana such as the historic Cathedral of Havana.
- Day trip to Viñales which includes a tour of the country side a visit to a tobacco-growing estate and cigar sampling.
- Enjoy authentic Cuban music, food, and drink at Paladar San Cristobal, Torre del Cocinero and La Bodeguita del Medio.
Group Travel Itinerary (tentative)
- Depart NYC JFK on Friday, March 3rd
- Return to NYC JFK on Friday, March 10th
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths in a Casa Particular family owned and operated pensions located within walking distance of Central Havana.
- Airfare from JFK to Havana, transportation to/from pension.
- Daily breakfast, some additional meals and local transportation.
- Evening review and image processing sessions with faculty.
Tuition does not include transportation to New York JFK airport.
- We will be walking 6-10 miles a day.
- Cuba is practical and casual; please wear low-care clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
- Travel light with one camera, at the most two lenses and a small laptop.
- Be prepared to be off of the Internet for long periods of time.
LIMITED ENROLLMENT: REGISTER now and all spots will be awarded by payment completion
Activity level: moderate ( 11 – 12 on the RPE Scale )
For further information contact Katrin Eismann, via email: [email protected]