Digital Photography in Havana, Cuba
May 24 - 31, 2016
1 undergraduate studio credit
Course number: IPD-3207-A
FACULTY: JAIME PERMUTH
Throughout the 20th Century, Cuba held sway over the world’s imagination first as the Paris of the Caribbean and then as a struggling – yet proud – revolutionary island. Now is the time to visit Cuba to experience the vibrant visual culture; revel in timeless architecture and landscapes; and meet its people as they transition into a new era.
Led by faculty of SVA’s Masters in Digital Photography, this workshop will explore Havana City and outlying neighborhoods. Our bilingual faculty with experience in Cuba will work closely with the faculty and students of the renowned University of Arts of Cuba / Instituto Superior de Arte. Workshop participants will experience Cuba from a Cuban artist’s point of view.
Photographic opportunities abound as we discover
- Sunrise/Sunset shoots on El Malecon, Morro Castle and Havana Vieja
- Cultural Institutions La Fototeca de Cuba and Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
- The gorgeous and vibrant University of Havana campus
- Boxing Training Club Gimnasio Trejo and the Colon Cemetery
- And of course enjoy Cuban music, food, and drink at Callejon de Hamel, Copellia Ice Cream Parlor, Torre del Cocinero and La Bodeguita
Group Travel Itinerary
- Depart NYC JFK on Tuesday, May 24th
- Return to NYC JFK on Tuesday, May 31st
- Double occupancy rooms with private baths in a Pension Familiar a family owned and operated pension located within walking distance of Central Havana.
- Airfare from JFK to Havana, transportation to/from pension.
- Daily breakfast, some additional meals and local transportation.
- Evening review and image processing sessions with faculty.
Tuition does not include transportation to New York JFK airport.
- We will be walking 6-10 miles a day.
- Cuba is practical and casual; please wear low-care clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
- Travel light with one camera, at the most two lenses and a small laptop.
- Be prepared to be off of the Internet for long periods of time.
LIMITED ENROLLMENT: REGISTER now and all spots will be awarded by payment completion
Activity level: moderate ( 11 – 12 on the RPE Scale )
For further information contact Jaime Permuth, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org